After made the Spongebob bento with nasi uduk, I want to make some more bento that using Indonesian menu, or just the menu that I used to make for my family. One of my favorite menu is nasi bakmoy, I really love this menu because I used to order it at a restaurant during my high school days (more than once a week), it’s very easy to make and also considered as a low budget menu. I’ll write down the recipe at the end of this post.
I still had to adding things to make a representable the bento, balanced the color and composition since the base menu is mainly only have brown color. I did the twin piggy onigiri with white rice mixed with pink furikake. I used half cooked spaghetti to attach the sausage nose and ears. The orange cheek was from crab stick skin, attached with the help of mayonnaise. As usual, the eyes and mouth were from nori cut with emoticon puncher.
The meat and tofu were put over a lettuce together with the twin onigiri and some broccoli chunks on the same bento box. On the other box, I put a half egg, chopped celery and fried red onion on yellow silicon container, and half mandarin orange. I should have add another container for the stock since the whole menu is supposed to be served like a soup but since we ate this at our dining room I just leave the stock in its original pan.
Here’s the brief recipe and how to cook (for 2 servings) :
- a white tofu (we have this 10x10x4 cm tofu sold on market)
- a slice of pork chop (with some fat) OR a chicken breast (with bones)
- 1 or 2 boiled eggs
- 2 cloves of small red (Spanish) onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 spoons of dried shrimp, soak them into boiled water
- sweet soy sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil
- chop celery and fried red onion
- salt and pepper
- fried (sliced) garlic
How to cook:
- Dice the tofu into 1 cm squares, fry them until half cooked
- Prepare the pork or chicken, and put them into 3-4 cups of boiled water to make stock
- After the meat is cooked, set aside the stock, dice the meat into 1 cm squares like the tofu
- We can add some salt & pepper and fried garlic into the stock
- Grind the red onion, garlic, and dried shrimp until they mix evenly
- Prepare a saute pan with small amount of oil, put the grinded condiment into the pan about 1 minute and add the half cooked tofu , pork/chicken meat, and eggs
- Add 8 spoons of sweet soy sauce, 2 spoons of soy sauce, and 1 spoon of sesame oil into the mix
- Add 4 spoons of stock, sauté until the water evaporate
- Serve the meat over rice, pour the stock over and add some chopped celery and fried onion